Download notes of THERMODYNAMICS (NME-303)
Syllabus of THERMODYNAMICS (NME-303)
Unit – I:
Fundamental Concepts and Definitions: Introduction- Basic Concepts: System, Control Volume,
Surrounding, Boundaries, Universe, Types of Systems, Macroscopic and Microscopic viewpoints,
Concept of Continuum, Thermodynamic Equilibrium, State, Property, Process, Exact & Inexact
Differentials, Cycle Reversibility Quasi – static Process, Irreversible Process, Causes of Irreversibility
Energy and its forms, Work and heat (sign convention), Gas laws, Ideal gas, Real gas, Law of
corresponding states, Dalton’s law, Amagat’s law, Property of mixture of gases.
Zeroth law of thermodynamics: Concept of Temperature and its’ measurement, Temperature scales.
First law of thermodynamics: Thermodynamic definition of work, Displacement work and flow work, ,
Displacement work for various non flow processes, Joules’ experiment, First law analysis for closed
system (non flow processes), Internal energy and enthalpy. Limitations of first law of thermodynamics,
Unit – II:
First law of thermodynamics applied to open systems, Steady flow systems and their analysis, Steady
flow energy equation, Boilers, Condensers, Turbine, Throttling process, Pumps etc. Analysis of unsteady
processes such as filling and evacuation of vessels with and without heat transfer. 2
Second law of thermodynamics: Thermal reservoirs, Energy conversion, Heat engines, Efficiency,
Reversed heat engine, Heat pump, Refrigerator, Coefficient of Performance, Kelvin Planck and Clausius
statement of second law of thermodynamics, Equivalence of the two statements. Reversible and
irreversible processes, Carnot cycle and Carnot engine, Carnot theorem and it’s corollaries,
Thermodynamic Temperature Scale, PMM-II.
Unit – III
Entropy : Clausius inequality, Concept of Entropy, Entropy change of pure substance in different
thermodynamic processes, Tds equation, Principle of entropy increase, T-S diagram, Statement of the
third law of thermodynamics.
Availability and Irreversibility: Available and unavailable energy, Availability and Irreversibility,
Second law efficiency, Helmholtz & Gibb’s function. 3
Unit – IV
Properties of steam and Rankine cycle: Pure substance, Property of Pure Substance (steam), Triple
point, Critical point, Saturation states, Sub-cooled liquid state, Superheated vapour state, Phase
transformation process of water, Graphical representation of pressure, volume and temperature, P-T & P- V diagrams, T-S and H-S diagrams, use of property diagram, Steam-Tables & Mollier chart, Dryness
factor and it’s measurement, processes involving steam in closed and open systems. Simple Rankine
Introduction to IC engines: Compression Ignition engines, Spark Ignition engines, 2 stroke and 4 stroke
engines, Performance parameters of IC engine, Heat balance sheet.
Books and References:
1. Engineering Thermodynamics by P.K.Nag, TMH
2. Thermodynamics by Shavit and Gutfinger, CRC Press.
3. Thermodynamics- An Engineering Approach by Cengel & Boles, TMH.
4. Basic Engineering Thermodynamics, Joel, Pearson. 5. Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by Rathakrishnan, PHI.
6. Engineering Thermodynamics by Dhar, Elsevier.
7. Engineering Thermodynamics by Onkar Singh, New Age International.
8. Thermodynamics by Prasanna Kumar Pearson
9. Engineering Thermodynamics by C.P. Arora.
10. Engineering Thermodynamics by Rogers and Mayhew, Pearson.
11. Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics by Moran, Shapiro, Boettner, & Bailey, John Wiley.
12. Fundamentals of Thermodynamics – Sonntag, Borgnakke and Van Wylen , John Wiley
13. Engineering Thermodynamics by Jones and Dugans, PHI