Download notes of THEORY OF AUTOMATA AND FORMAL LANGUAGES (RCS403)
Syllabus of THEORY OF AUTOMATA AND FORMAL LANGUAGES (RCS403):
Introduction; Alphabets, Strings and Languages; Automata and Grammars, Deterministic
finite Automata (DFA)-Formal Definition, Simplified notation: State transition graph,
Transition table, Language of DFA, Nondeterministic finite Automata (NFA), NFA with
epsilon transition, Language of NFA, Equivalence of NFA and DFA, Minimization of Finite
Automata, Distinguishing one string from other, Myhill-Nerode Theorem
Regular expression (RE), Definition, Operators of regular expression and their precedence,
Algebraic laws for Regular expressions, Kleen’s Theorem, Regular expression to FA, DFA
to Regular expression, Arden Theorem, Non Regular Languages, Pumping Lemma for
regular Languages . Application of Pumping Lemma, Closure properties of Regular
Languages, Decision properties of Regular Languages, FA with output: Moore and Mealy
machine, Equivalence of Moore and Mealy Machine, Applications and Limitation of FA.
Context free grammar (CFG) and Context Free Languages (CFL): Definition, Examples,
Derivation, Derivation trees, Ambiguity in Grammar, Inherent ambiguity, Ambiguous to
Unambiguous CFG, Useless symbols, Simplification of CFGs, Normal forms for CFGs: CNF
and GNF, Closure proper ties of CFLs, Decision Properties of CFLs: Emptiness, Finiteness
and Membership, Pumping lemma for CFLs.
Push Down Automata (PDA): Description and definition, Instantaneous Description,
Language of PDA, Acceptance by Final state, Acceptance by empty stack, Deterministic
PDA, Equivalence of PDA and CFG, CFG to PDA and PDA to CFG, Two stack PDA.
Turing machines (TM): Basic model, definition and representation, Instantaneous
Description, Language acceptance by TM, Variants of Turing Machine, TM as Computerof
Integer functions, Universal TM, Church’s Thesis, Recursive and recursively enumerable
languages, Halting problem, Introduction to Undecidability, Undecidable problems about
TMs. Post correspondence problem (PCP), Modified PCP, Introduction to recursive function
1. Hopcroft, Ullman, “Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation”,
2. KLP Mishra and N. Chandrasekaran, “Theory of Computer Science: Automata,
Languages and Computation”, PHI Learning Private Limited, Delhi India.
3. Peter Linz, “An Introduction to Formal Language and Automata”, Narosa Publishing
4. YN Singh “Mathematical Foundation of Computer Science”, New Age International.
5. Malviya, AK “Theory of Computation and Application”, BPaperback Publications
6. Papadimitrou, C. and Lewis, CL, “Elements of the Theory of Computation”, Pearson
7. K. Krithivasan and R. Rama; Introduction to Formal Languages, Automata Theory
and Computation; Pearson Education.
8. Harry R. Lewis and Christos H. Papadimitriou, Elements of the theory of
Computation, Second Edition, Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd.
9. Micheal Sipser, “Introduction of the Theory and Computation”, Thomson Learning.
10. Katuri Viswanath, “Introduction to Mathematical Computer Science, An” Universities