Download notes of MANUFACTURING SCIENCE& TECHNOLOGY-II (NME-503)
Syllabus of MANUFACTURING SCIENCE& TECHNOLOGY-II (NME-503)
of metal cutting.Geometry of tool and nomenclature .ASA system Orthogonal vs. oblique
cutting. Mechanics of chip formation, types of chips. Shear angle relationship. Merchant’s force circle
diagram. Cutting forces, power required. Heat generation and cutting tool temperature, Cutting
fluids/lubricants.Tool materials. Tool wear and tool life. Machinability.Dynamometer, Brief introduction
to machine tool vibration and surface finish.Economics of metal cutting.
(i) Lathe: Principle, construction, types, operations, Turret/capstan, semi/Automatic, Tool layout
(ii) Shaper, slotter, planer: Construction, operations & drives.
(iii) Milling: Construction, Milling cutters, up & down milling. Dividing head & indexing. Max chip
thickness & power required.
(iv) Drilling and boring: Drilling, boring, reaming tools. Geometry of twist drills.
Grinding &Super finishing
(i) Grinding: Grinding wheels, abrasive & bonds, cutting action. Grinding wheel specification. Grinding
wheel wear – attritions wear, fracture wear. Dressing and Truing. Max chip thickness and Guest criteria.
Surface and cylindrical grinding.Centerless grinding
(ii) Super finishing: Honing, lapping and polishing.
Limits, Fits & Tolerance and Surface roughness:
Introduction to Limits, Fits, Tolerances and IS standards, Limit-gauges, and surface-roughness.
B. Metal Joining (Welding)
Survey of welding and allied processes.Gas welding and cutting, process and equipment. Arc welding:
Power sources and consumables. TIG & MIG processes and their parameters.Resistance welding – spot,
seam projection etc.Other welding processes such as atomic hydrogen, submerged arc, electroslag,
friction welding. Soldering & Brazing. Adhesive bonding. Thermodynamic and Metallurgical aspects in
welding and weld, Weldability, Shrinkage/residual stress in welds. Distortions & Defects in welds and
remedies. Weld decay in HAZ.
C. Introduction to Unconventional Machining and Welding
Need & benefits, application and working principle of EDM, ECM, LBM, EBM, USM. AJM, WJM.
Similarly, non-conventional welding applications such as LBW, USW, EBW, Plasma-arc welding,
Diffusion welding, Explosive welding/cladding. Introduction to Hybrid machining processes
Books and References:
1. Manufacturing Science – A. Ghosh and A.K. Mallik,Affiliated East-West Press
2. Fundamentals of Metal Machining and Machine Tools – Geoffrey Boothroyd, CRC Press
3. Production Technology – R.K. Jain Khanna Publishers.
4. Introduction to Manufacturing Processes – John A. Schey ,McGraw-Hill
5. Production Engineering Science – P.C. Pandey,Standard Publishers Distributors,
6. Modern Machining Processes – P.C. Pandey& H.S. Shan, McGraw-Hill
7. Degarmo’s Materials and Processes in Manufacturing – Ernest P. De Garmo, J. T. Black, Ronald A.
8. Fundamentals of Metal Cutting & Machine Tools – B.L. Juneja& G.S. ShekhonWiley
9. Process &Materials of Manufacturing – R.A. Lindburg, Pearson Eductaion
10. Advanced Machining Process – VK Jain ,Allied Publishers
11. Manufacturing Engineering & Technology, -Kalpakjian, Pearson
12. Manufacturing Technology Part I and Part II,-Rao,PN, McGraw-Hill